It’s time for week 78 in KDE’s Usability & Productivity initiative! This week I think people have been taking a breather following a super intense sprint, and some are even on vacation–myself included. So this week’s report is going to ba a bit light, but it’s still got a few cool goodies!
- It’s now possible to assign a global keyboard shortcut to turn off the screen (Martin Blumenstingl, KDE Plasma 5.17.0)
- In Konsole’s new tiled split mode, it’s now possible to re-arrange views by drag-and-drop! (Tomaz Canabrava, Konsole 19.08.0):
- The System Settings Energy Saving page now offers an option to hibernate after a period of sleep, when supported by the system (Alejandro Valdes, KDE Plasma 5.17.0)
Bugfixes & Performance Improvements
- When adding a folder to the Places panel that has been given a custom icon, its Places panel entry now correctly displays that custom icon (me: Nate Graham, KDE Frameworks 5.60)
- When deleting multiple files, the notification that tracks its progress now reports the total number of files correctly (Kai Uwe Broulik, KDE Frameworks 5.60)
User Interface Improvements
- Added support for filtering out old Plasma 4 themes from the store.kde.org downloader (Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen, KDE Plasma 5.16.3)
- Dolphin’s sort order chooser now uses human-readable text (Nicolas Fella, Dolphin 19.08.0):
- When taking a time-delayed screenshot, Spectacle now displays the remaining time before the screenshot is taken in its window title, which is visible in its Task Manager item (Felix Ernst, Spectacle 19.08.0)
Next week, your name could be in this list! Not sure how? Just ask! I’ve helped mentor a number of new contributors recently and I’d love to help you, too! You can also check out https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved, and find out how you can help be a part of something that really matters. You don’t have to already be a programmer. I wasn’t when I got started. Try it, you’ll like it! We don’t bite!