Week 75 in KDE’s Usability & Productivity initiative is here! It’s a little lighter than usual because we’re all feverishly preparing for the dual Plasma and Usability & Productivity sprints next week in Valencia, Spain. I’ll be there, as well as the whole Plasma team, a bunch of VDG people, and a number of folks who have stepped up to work on apps for the U&P initiative. Sprints like these promise the kind of face-to-face contact needed for big projects, and should be a fantastically awesome and productive time! I’d like to offer a special thanks to Slimbook (makers of the KDE Slimbook II laptop) for hosting the sprint!
Anyway, here’s the week’s report:
- When using multiple screens, it’s now possible to configure whether the settings for a particular screen apply to that screen in every arrangement that includes that screen, or only in the current screen arrangement (Roman Gilg, KDE Plasma 5.17.0)
Bugfixes & Performance Improvements
- The Baloo file indexing service now notices when extended attributes on folders change, no longer does unnecessary work when an indexed folder is renamed, is faster to index un-indexed files, is even lighter when run on a laptop on battery power, and terminates its indexer processes when stopped or disabled, and (Stefan Brüns, KDE Frameworks 5.60)
- The screen locker now works harder to lock the screen on X11 when something has grabbed keyboard focus (e.g. when a context menu is open) (David Edmundson, KDE Plasma 5.17.0)
- Settings for font rendering are now saved and retrieved properly in all circumstances (Bhushan Shah, KDE Plasma 5.16.1)
- There is no longer a one-pixel pap between the panel and application windows when using certain 3rd-party Plasma themes with Qt 5.13 (Friedrich Kossebau, KDE Plasma 5.16.1)
User Interface Improvements
- The session and keyboard chooser menus on the SDDM login screen are now visually consistent with everything else (Carson Black, Plasma 5.16.1):
- Discover no longer shows huge unnecessary horizontal padding for screenshots on Plasma and apps addons (Aleix Pol Gonzalez, KDE Plasma 5.16.1)
- The System Settings Night Color page received now has a better layout (Filip Fila, KDE Plasma 5.17.0):
- Konsole’s settings window has been modernized and given a user interface overhaul (Mariusz Glebocki, Konsole 19.08.0):
- Text in Dolphin’s information panel is now mouse-selectable and copyable (Gabriel Felipe Huwe, Dolphin 19.08.0)
- Improved High DPI support in Yakuake (Matthieu Gras, Yakuake 3.0.6)
Next week, your name could be in this list! Not sure how? Just ask! I’ve helped mentor a number of new contributors recently and I’d love to help you, too! You can also check out https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved, and find out how you can help be a part of something that really matters. You don’t have to already be a programmer. I wasn’t when I got started. Try it, you’ll like it! We don’t bite!