This was quite a bugfixy week in KDE’s Usability and Productivity initiative, but we managed to squeeze in a cool new feature! See for yourself:
- Dolphin now has a “Share” menu just like the one in Spectacle and Okular (Nicolas Fella, KDE Frameworks 5.48):
- Folder view widgets that have been placed in a panel once again behave correctly when clicked (Eike Hein, KDE Plasma 5.13.3)
- With compositing off, the default panel now covers the entire bottom of the screen properly (Vlad Zagorodniy, KDE Frameworks 5.48)
- GTK windows without client-side decorations (i.e. those that use the standard KWin-drawn server-side decorations, like the titlebar and shadow) once again have window decorations on Wayland (David Edmundson, GTK 3.24)
- Devices whose size cannot be determined no longer show up as “0 B Hard Drive” in the Places panel (Kai Uwe Broulik, KDE Frameworks 5.48)
- Discover no longer shows packages removed via the terminal as still being installed (Aleix Pol, KDE Plasma 5.12.6)
- When viewing the Properties dialog for a file on the desktop, the “Share” tab is now visible (Kai Uwe Broulik, 18.08.0)
- search:/ and timeline:/ entries now work again from the Kickoff Application Launcher menu (Kai Uwe Broulik, KDE Plasma 5.12.6)
UI Polish & Improvement
- When KRunner finds and displays an entry from your Places panel, the name of its category appears to the right of it (Kai Uwe Broulik, KDE Plasma 5.12.6)
- Modernized the layout of some pages in Dolphin’s settings window (me: Nate Graham, KDE Applications 18.08.0):
See all the names of people who worked hard to make the computing world a better place? That could be you next week! Getting involved isn’t all that tough, and there’s lots of support available. Give it a try today! It’s easy and fun and important.
If my efforts to perform, guide, and document this work seem useful and you’d like to see more of them, then consider becoming a patron on Patreon, LiberaPay, or PayPal. Also consider making a donation to the KDE e.V. foundation.