Most KDE contributors are still recovering from their holiday vacations, but nevertheless the first of my 2020 predictions has been fulfilled: KIO now makes remote locations available to non-KDE apps using FUSE mounts! This brings us to full feature parity with GNOME’s GVFS system and makes it painless to interact with files in remote locations using apps like LibreOffice, Blender, and VLC. Full support will be shipped to users with the Dolphin 20.04 release.
More New Features
- There are now thumbnail previews for cursor files (Kai Uwe Broulik, Dolphin 20.04.0):
- Plasma’s amazing notification system gained support for apps to let you reply to messages inline (Kai Uwe Broulik, Plasma 5.18.0):
Bugfixes & Performance Improvements
- The context menu in the System Settings Network Connections page no longer sometimes appears in the wrong place when clicked (David Edmundson, Plasma 5.17.5)
- The Alt-tilde shortcut to switch between the current app’s open windows now works on Wayland when Num Lock mode is active (Roman Gilg, Plasma 5.18.0)
- The System Settings Icons page now correctly highlights the current icon theme when it was installed and activated using Discover, and deleting an icon theme no longer resets the view’s currently-selected icon theme (Benjamin Port, Plasma 5.18.0)
- System Settings no longer shows the dreaded “ambiguous shortcut” dialog when you hit Ctrl+F; the shortcut now works to focus the search field (me: Nate Graham, Plasma 5.18.0)
- KDE’s GTK theming now respects the GTK2_RC_FILES environment variable (Mikhail Zolotukhin, Plasma 5.18.0)
- File dialogs opened by applications that only supports local files (e.g. Firefox when using the openSUSE patches to show the KDE file dialog) now shows disks and removable media devices in their Places panels (Kai Uwe Broulik, Frameworks 5.66)
- Dolphin no longer crashes when you rename the trash can (Elvis Angelaccio, Frameworks 5.66)
User Interface Improvements
- Elisa’s playlist now shows the full album and artist names in the header area instead of eliding after one line (me: Nate Graham, Elisa 20.04.0):
- In Elisa, you can now play different songs in the playlist using the keyboard (me: Nate Graham, Elisa 20.04.0)
- When using plasma-browser-integration, files downloaded using your web browser show up as recent documents in Dolphin, the file dialogs, and the application launcher menu (Kai Uwe Broulik, Plasma 5.18.0)
- Discover now presents app and addon reviews more elegantly (KDE VDG and me: Nate Graham, Plasma 5.18.0):
- Audacity project files and Apple Wallet files now have nice Breeze icons (Kai Uwe Broulik and Carson Black, Frameworks 5.66)
How You Can Help
If you’ve got artistic talent, rev up your digital paintbrushes and try your hand at getting your work seen by millions of Plasma LTS users for years to come in our wallpaper competition: https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual_Design_Group/Plasma_5.18_Wallpaper_Competition!
More generally, have a look at https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved and find out more ways to help be part of a project that really matters. Each contributor makes a huge difference in KDE; you are not a number or a cog in a machine! You don’t have to already be a programmer, either. I wasn’t when I got started. Try it, you’ll like it! We don’t bite!