This is the last week in KDE’s Usability & Productivity initiative (next week the blog posts will continue, but under a new name). The voting results are in for KDE’s new goals and the community-selected winners are full Wayland support, consistency throughout the KDE ecosystem and software, and a renewed focus on KDE apps. Read all about it here!
But meanwhile, there’s a ton of stuff to announce right now, so let’s jump right in.
Serendipitously enough, something big landed this week that’s relevant to the first new goal: fractional scaling on Wayland!!!
Check out the complicated dependency tree of patches that were required to make this happen:
Veteran KWin developers Roman Gilg and David Edmundson have been working on this for ages, and all of their hard work–which will land in Plasma 5.17–is much appreciated. But wait, there’s more!
- When you try to open an executable file that isn’t currently executable (for example, a newly-downloaded AppImage app), a dialog now appears that allows you to confirm your intention to launch it and makes it executable for you (Marcin Dłubakowski, KDE Frameworks 5.62):
- When dolphin’s Information Panel is configured not to auto-play media files, you can now quickly play a media file by clicking on its preview image. This also adds a pause button! (Méven Car, Dolphin 19.12.0)
Bugfixes & Performance Improvements
- The speaker test feature of the System Settings Audio page now works again (Nicolas Fella, KDE Plasma 5.16.5
- Fixed a case where the KWin window manager could crash after adjusting certain options (Vlad Zahorodnii, KDE Plasma 5.17.0)
- The KWin window manager’s “switch to window on the right” and “switch to window on the left” actions now work properly when there are more than one fullscreen or maximized windows open (Vlad Zahorodnii, KDE Plasma 5.17.0)
- The KInfoCenter app’s main window now has a sane minimum size so you can no longer resize it to be so small that it becomes unusable (Alex Debus, KDE Plasma 5.17.0)
- Undoing trashing files on the desktop now works properly (David Faure, KDE Frameworks 5.62)
- Dolphin no longer crashes when copying a large number of files to a location that already has a subset of those files and choosing to skip the already-existing files (Ahmad Samir, KDE Frameworks 5.62)
- Fixed a bug in Spectacle that could cause the app to silently keep running after closed, preventing the global keyboard shortcuts used to launch it from working (Antonio Prcela, Spectacle 19.08.2)
- Spectacle’s Rectangular Region mode once again covers the panel when run on Wayland (David Redondo, Spectacle 19.08.2)
- When sorting by tags in Dolphin, the tagged files and folders are shown before untagged ones (Nazar Kalinowski, Dolphin 19.12.0)
User Interface Improvements
- In the Kicker and Kickoff application launcher menus, the somewhat confusing context menu item “Manage …” has been given a better icon and text so you can tell what it does (Nicolas Fella and me: Nate Graham, KDE Plasma 5.17.0):
- The “select” and “open” hover buttons for files and folders on the desktop now become larger for larger icon sizes (me: Nate Graham, KDE Plasma 5.17.0):
- Large versions of the trash icon now actually look like a real trash can (Noah Davis and Björn Feber, KDE Frameworks 5.62):
- Small monochrome versions of the trash can now look full when full, rather than inappropriately being red (the color for danger or destructive actions) (Noah Davis, KDE Frameworks 5.62):
- Selecting the trash now shows the correct text and icon in Dolphin’s Information Panel (Méven Car, KDE Frameworks 5.62):
- Notification icons now use the outline style like all other status tray icons (Noah Davis, KDE Frameworks 5.62):
- Long numbers now get proper locale-aware separators (me: Nate Graham, KDE Frameworks 5.62):
- The Search button in Dolphin’s toolbar is now a toggle button that closes the search panel when you click on it a second time (Ismael Asensio, Dolphin 19.12.0)
- Dolphin’s “Add to Places” action is now available in the File menu too (me: Nate Graham, Dolphin 19.12.0):
- Dolphin’s Terminal action now uses a more appropriate monochrome icon (Noah Davis, Dolphin 19.12.0):
- The category icons in Dolphin’s settings window sidebar are now all colorful (Björn Feber, Dolphin 19.12.0):
- Fixed a bug in Konsole where under certain circumstances, session restoration could fail and leave you with a blank window (Jiří Paleček, Konsole 19.12.0)
Next week, your name could be in this list! Not sure how? Just ask! I’ve helped mentor a number of new contributors recently and I’d love to help you, too! You can also check out https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved, and find out how you can help be a part of something that really matters. You don’t have to already be a programmer. I wasn’t when I got started. Try it, you’ll like it! We don’t bite!