This week in Usability & Productivity, the KDE VDG worked very intensively on aesthetics. The Breeze icon theme gained a lot of attention, resulting in many improvements, and we now have a good number of icon designers diligently working through a backlog of issues. More is on the way too, with several enthusiastic new VDG members who combine an eye for design with strong technical abilities. Expect good things to come of this!
- When using the YaST configuration app on openSUSE, icons now get Breeze versions when using the Breeze icon theme (Noah Davis, KDE Frameworks 5.54)
Bugfixes & Performance Improvements
- When using Wayland, resizing a window now results in the correct cursor being used (Vlad Zagorodniy, KDE Plasma 5.15.0)
- Plasma no longer crashes when switching windows in certain ways (David Edmundson, KDE Plasma 5.15.0)
- Devices like memory card readers are no longer unnecessarily powered down when their cards/disks are ejected (Stefan Brüns, KDE Frameworks 5.54)
- Discover no longer gets stuck in a state where both the “Update all” and “Check for Updates” buttons are grayed out (Aleix Pol Gonzalez, KDE Frameworks 5.54)
- Dolphin split views now keep the correct titles when switching and closing views (Elvis Angelaccio, KDE Applications 18.12.1)
- Konsole tabs now display their titles more accurately in a variety of circumstances (Mariusz Glebocki, KDE Applications 19.04.0)
User Interface Improvements
- System Settings now shows helpful tooltips for all items in the sidebar, not just items on the first level of navigation (me: Nate Graham, KDE Plasma 5.15.0):
- The default image fill mode for wallpapers is now “Scaled and Cropped”, which has the advantage of not deforming images whose aspect ratio differs from that of the screen (me: Nate Graham, KDE Plasma 5.15.0)
- The plasma-workspace-wallpapers package–which is shipped by default on Manjaro, and hopefully soon will be in Neon and Kubuntu—now includes some of the best recent Plasma wallpapers (me: Nate Graham, KDE Plasma 5.15.0):
- Discover’s Updates page now shows the old and new versions of packages right there on the page (me: Nate Graham, KDE Plasma 5.15.0):
- Kolf gained a beautiful new icon (Rafael Brandmaier, KDE Frameworks 5.54):
- A variety of Breeze device and preference icons have been improved, including the multimedia icons and all icons that depict a stylized version of a Plasma wallpaper. Some examples can be seen in other screenshots in this post! (Björn Feber, KDE Frameworks 5.54):
- Dolphin now displays an error message when you try to create a new folder with the same name as an existing folder (me: Nate Graham, KDE Frameworks 5.54):
- Konsole’s profile switching shortcuts now switch the current tab’s profile instead of opening a new tab with the other profile (Thomas Surrel, KDE Applications 19.04.0)
Next week, your name could be in this list! Not sure how? Just ask! I’ve helped mentor a number of new contributors recently and I’d love to help you, too! You can also check out https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved, and find out how you can help be a part of something that really matters. You don’t have to already be a programmer. I wasn’t when I got started. Try it, you’ll like it! We don’t bite!
If my efforts to perform, guide, and document this work seem useful and you’d like to see more of them, then consider becoming a patron on Patreon, LiberaPay, or PayPal. Also consider making a donation to the KDE e.V. foundation.