Another week, another set of Usability and Productivity improvements! This week we fixed a lot of bugs in preparation for the KDE Applications 18.08 release as well as for Plasma itself.
- It’s now possible to import an existing Plasma Vault (Ivan Čukić, KDE Plasma 5.14.0)
- the Enter key now works when using the keyboard to navigate System Settings (Marco Martin, KDE Plasma 5.13.4)
- System Settings’ Search field text now looks crisp and sharp when using a fractional high DPI scale factor (me: Nate Graham, KDE Plasma 5.12.7):
- The Notifications plasmoid no longer inappropriately groups notifications that have inline images attached (Kai Uwe Broulik, KDE Plasma 5.12.7)
- The Kickoff Application Launcher’s icon now respects size hints and no longer becomes arbitrarily huge with a tall panel–unless you want it to (Eike Hein, KDE Plasma 5.14.0)
- The on-screen display for choosing what to do with a new screen is now navigable using the keyboard (Fredrik Gladhorn, KDE Plasma 5.14.0)
- Discover can no longer crash if you quit it while it’s still in the middle of checking for Flatpak updates (Aleix Pol, KDE Plasma 5.14.0
- The Plasma splash screen’s “Plasma Made by KDE” text is no longer blocky and located in the wrong place when using a fractional scale factor (me: Nate Graham, KDE Plasma 5.12.7)
- Sorting files by modification time in Dolphin is now 12 times fasteris now 12 times faster (Kai Uwe Broulik, KDE Applications 18.08.0)
- In Gwenview, it’s once again possible to zoom and pan using the mouse wheel and the middle click and Ctrl+ left/right click shortcuts while using the Crop or Red Eye Reduction tools (Peter Mühlenpfordt, KDE Applications 18.08.0)
- The Size slider in Gwenview’s Red Eye Reduction tool now works again (Peter Mühlenpfordt, KDE Applications 18.08.0)
- Fixed a few cases in Gwenview where a manually zoomed-in image would not be properly smoothed (Henrik Fehlauer, KDE Applications 18.08.0)
- Gwenview now displays the correct crosshair cursor when using the Red Eye Reduction tool (Henrik Fehlauer, KDE Applications 18.08.0)
- Reduced the blurriness of images in epub files viewed with Okular (Gilbert Assaf, KDE Applications 18.08.0)
UI Polish & Improvement
- In Discover, the updates list is now sorted by completion percentage when packages are being updated (Aleix Pol, KDE Plasma 5.14.0):
- The icon thumbnailer now supports MNG files and Apple ICNS files, and shows prettier icons for windows .ico files (Kai Uwe Broulik, KDE Applications 18.12.0)
- Multi-column views in the open/save dialogs (and some other places) now use alternating background colors, just like Dolphin does (me: Nate Graham, KDE Frameworks 5.49):
Next week, your name could be in this list! Just check out https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved, and wind out how you can help be a part of something that really matters.
If my efforts to perform, guide, and document this work seem useful and you’d like to see more of them, then consider becoming a patron on Patreon, LiberaPay, or PayPal. Also consider making a donation to the KDE e.V. foundation.